The Bartlett Arboretum & Gardens is thrilled to present its first ever Honey Harvest Festival! This day dedicated to celebrating honey will be filled with bee-themed fun & education for everyone to enjoy. Our RAIN OR SHINE festival is FREE ADMISSION and will include:
- Touring the Bartlett's pollinator gardens and hives
- A special BBQ provided by HooDoo Brown (other food vendors will also be available) for an additional charge
- Marketplace to purchase honey products, beverages, and other bee related items
- Mead presentations and Barr Hill Gin tastings
- Live music featuring Dan Swartz, lead vocalist with the Bob Button Big Band, and Jim Obrys.
- Children's crafts and activities, including pony rides (weather permitting), candle making, games, door prizes, and more!
The panel details are as follow:
1:00 - 1:45 - Howland Blackiston -- “Getting to Know the Honey Bee”.
The history of bees and beekeeping Life inside the hive
The products that honey bees make
The enormous value of honey bees and pollination
Problems facing bees and beekeeping and what you can do about it
What's next if you want to get started as a beekeeper?
1:45 - 2:30 - Marina Marchese -- “Honey, I Love You”
Appreciating the history of honey
What exactly is "honey"
Healing with honey
Identifying the different types of honey (extracted, comb, chunk, whipped)
Honey from around the world
The culinary side of honey
Pairing honey with food
2:30 - 3:00 - Q&A with Howland, Marina, and other beekeepers
Listen to a recent radio interview with our former Board Chairman, Paul Travaglino, who shares all the details of the event, as well as the importance of bees.